If you have a home-based business or a traditional retail store, there are easy ways to go green. Running a green business is not only good for the environment, but it’s also good for your business because conserving resources and making less waste saves money.
There are ten easy-to-do ideas for running a green business. The Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade has published the Greening Operations Guide that you can use to make your business more environmentally responsible.
You can go green by:
1. Turning off equipment when not in use. This reduces energy usage by 25% and turning off the computers at the end of the day can save another 50%.
2. Encouraging communication by email rather than writing paper messages. Read email messages on screen and decide if they need to be printed. If not, don’t.
3. Reducing fax paper waste by using a fax-modem (this is done via computer).
4. Making double-sided documents whenever possible.
5.Not leaving sink taps dripping. Make sure to close them tightly after you use them. One drop lost per second wastes 10,000 litres per year.
6. Placing one or two plastic containers filled with stones in the toilet’s reservoir will displace about 4 litres of water per flush. That’s a major decrease in the amount of of water used in a year.
7. Finding paper towels or toilet paper with as much recycled content as possible.
8. Choosing suppliers who reuse packaging materials.
9. Constantly searching for “greener” products and services in your community. The further your supplies and suppliers have to travel, the more energy they will use to get them to you.
10. Before you decide if you need new office furniture, find out if your existing furniture can be refurbished. It will cost a lot less than buying new, and it’s much better for the environment.
A Green Business Starts With Small Steps
Environmental responsibility doesn’t have to be big to have a major impact. Constantly reducing the amount of energy, water, and paper we use can make a huge difference to the environment and our wallets.
Try to think of other ways your company can go green. If you stop and think about out, you’re sure to find many other ways you can help take care of our Earth.