Planning for your future is extremely important, despite the fact that they sometimes change. One way to plan for your future is to set goals. Goals are defined as: The end toward which effort is directed.
Part of the process of career planning is to set goals. Both long and short term goals are used to create an action plan. This action plan will take you step by step in reaching your goals. The goal is a specific objective. It can be an occupation, your place on the career ladder, or how much you want to earn.
Long term goals usually take anywhere between three and five years to reach. Short term goals can be reached in as little as one to three years. Short term goals are considered a stop on the way to our long term goals.
We often set goals when we are planning what it is we want to accomplish that day, that week, or month. These are simple goals. You figure out what you want to do, and then what you need to do, in order to get to that goal. When you have figured that out, you can concentrate on your long term plans for the future.
The actions you take to make those goals a reality play a big part in whether or not you reach them. The way you develop your goals, however, is important too.
- Your goals must be specific.
- You have to envision the outcome of your goals.
- Stay positive.
- Keep your goals realistic.
- Keep your goals reachable within your set time frame.
- Make sure there is constant action tied to each goal.
- Remember one last thing while you are setting your goals; you must remain flexible. If you come up against obstacles that feel like they are stopping the progress of reaching your goals, don’t give up. Keep moving forward, no matter what. As mentioned before, you may end up having to modify your goals or time frame to reach them, and you might even have to compromise a little to deal with the situation. If one of your goals is no longer relevant to your long term plans, then let it go. This will let you put all of your energy into working toward the goals that are important to you.
By following these steps to reach your goals, both long and short term, you will have the best chance of accomplishing the things you want the most.