Creating a podcast is easy, whether you do it yourself by using an audio editor and your own website, or if you use a host site. Podcasts let you create an audio program that can be accessed at any time. Listeners can subscribe to your podcasts and your podcast show will be automatically sent to their computers.
By putting your audio files on your website, you can have your listeners “click to listen” to your podcast. Almost all browsers can stream audio files and, thanks to broadband, the podcast will stream uninterrupted through a media player, just as if they were listening to internet radio.
If you think you would like to create your own podcast, you need to determine how complex you want it to be. It’s fairly simple when you upload your own files to your website and edit them as you like.
A third-party service is convenient, but you will have to agree to their terms, which means you will end up with ads or other content you don’t like during your podcasts.
However, creating your own website and putting your podcast on it will allow you to to have full control. You can place ads on your podcast that will make you money.
Why you should start your own Podcast.
- You have a business and you want to reach potential customers. Even if you start with streaming your own ad or specials, it’s a start.
- You represent a school and you want to give students and parents information about current events.
- You belong to a radio news show at your school and everyone in your class wants to be a DJ. You can allow other students to create their own podcasts.
- You represent are a state and want to create a stream that includes special information about emergency procedures, or other official information. A podcast can be for a specific purpose and doesn’t have to be long.
- You are a collector of a specific kind of audio, music, or other recordings and you want to share it with the rest of the world.
- You volunteer for a political campaign and want to spread the word about a candidate or their agenda by using clips from their speeches, or even your own commentary.
- You are promoting something you are working on and want to get the word out to ask for support. With this type of podcast, you are basically creating an advertisement by asking for help.
Most people want to concentrate on their content rather than worry about the technical side of how it all works. But you really can accomplish more if you understand what an RSS file is. Below is a list of podcast services you can easily use.
BlogTalkRadio: This is a podcast and social networking site that allows for an easy way to record on-demand audio.
PodBean.com: PodBean.com lets you create and publish your own audio and video podcast in 3 easy steps. There is nothing technical about it. You can share these podcast on Facebook, Myspace, Blogger, and other online sites.
PodOmatic: PodOmatic allows basic and pro options. The basic option offers easy tools, 500MB of storage and 15GB of bandwidth per month. Pro has more features for about $10 per month.
Libsyn.com: Libsyn (Liberated Syndication) offers many options for syndication which includes storage and archiving that ensures the security of holding all of your podcasts with unmetered bandwidth, and the opportunity to use your own website.
WildVoice Studio: For those who want to create their website and record their own audio files on their own terms, this is the software for you. WildVoice Studio is free and is a Windows-based application which allows a professional-quality recording with theme music, special effects and pre-recorded clips.
MirPod: mirPod is a web page that lets you create podcast codes that you can embed on your own website. This is a basic point and click system that needs no technical know-how.
No matter what your reason for wanting to create a podcast, it would be worth your time to take a look at all of your choices and pick the one that works best for you.